1. Do I have to go to meetings?
2. I paid my dues, is that all I need to do?
Thank you so much! You have already made a valuable contribution to the PTA, supporting your school and receiving the perks and benefits that come with being a PTA member. However, the $15 PTA membership fee basically covers the necessities for running the PTA – insurance for events and administrative costs for example. This is why we need to also run fundraisers, in order to put on the activities and events that so enrich the school experience for the students. In addition, NOTHING could be done without the many volunteers who contribute generously of their time. Irvine district in particular is low in the amount of funding state-wide that each child receives compared to many other districts. The PTA’s primary goal is to fill that gap and in so doing, enhance the children’s education through our programs and activities.
3. Where do my membership dues go?
- Attendance at General Association Meetings (listen to and speak up about issues)
- Cast your vote on important matters and decisions
- Local Business Discounts
- Actively involved in your child’s education/school
- A copy of the school directory
4. Why do we have these fundraisers?
- Recent Programs PTA have contributed towards:
- Art Masters
- Computer Labs & Technology
- Ice Cream Social
- Spring Carnival
- Field Trips
- Teacher/Staff Appreciation Week
- Family Fun Events (Movie Nights, Picnics)
- Classroom Donations
- Red Ribbon Week
- Art Reflections
- BoxTops for Education
- Spirit Wear
- Community Share (Grocery & Club Cards)
- Restaurant Nights
- Fall Fundraiser (Pledge Drive)
- Jog-A-Thon (March)
5. What’s in it for me?
THE most often asked question! Parents really want to know what they’ll get out of it. So here are some direct benefits you can feel better about:
- Get more directly involved with your child’s school
- Be a role model to your peers and family – and especially your student. You wouldn’t believe how excited the children are to catch a glimpse of THEIR parent in school helping! Well, until roughly 5th grade anyway!
- Hear directly from our Principal, PTA board and special guest speakers at Association meetings
- Hear about important changes to school programs, funding, and curriculum
- Have direct voice and access to a group that helps with school decisions (programs, activities, social events, and more)
- Meet other parents with kids in the same school and area
- Be part of the solution, not just the discussion or gossip
- Learn to work with a team and new skills by being a committee chair or executive board leader. Honestly – we’re a REALLY nice bunch!
6. How does this help my child?
- Enriches your student’s education with new programs that may lack or have lost government funding
- Creates opportunities for learning about technology and new programs
- Show your student that you are actively involved in their school and believe their education is important
- Reinforce programs by knowing more about what’s available to students
- See their family engaged and utilizing all the resources our local school offers
- Creating precious memories of school life, and takeaway mementos such as the Yearbook that will last a lifetime.
7. How do I get more involved?
Membership is important, so start by becoming a member of Springbrook today. Your membership runs for the school year, so most parents sign up or renew their membership at the start of each school year and renew each year. We encourage families to sign up for membership for each adult or any other family member that wants to be involved with your child’s school.